Written by Deepak Kumar Nayak and Aryan Pratyush Nayak and Guided by Dr. Anand Agarwal.
With the onset of the modern-day, innovation in medical science has also evolved. We are now entering into stages of exploration that are not just proven effective but are highly accessible as well. One such probe has to be in the direction of nitric oxide for treating cardiovascular diseases.
The use of specific gaseous compounds for treatment is nothing new. However, the use of nitric oxide is a little more particular to certain conditions, something that people should have a general idea about.
Use of Nitric Oxide
Cardiovascular diseases are associated with several underlying factors, and however, among all of them, endothelial dysfunction will be considered among the primary reasons behind it. The protective roles of nitric oxide make sure that this is taken care of as its cardio-protective roles include:
- Regulation of blood pressure and vascular tone,
- Inhibition of platelet,
- Rapid increase of smooth muscles in the artery walls. Nitric oxide helps in vasodilation.
Vasodilation refers to the widening of blood vessels, usually near the surface of the skin, leading to increased blood flow. Nitric oxide can be an essential help since restricted blood flow is among the prime reasons behind coronary heart diseases.
Apart from that, we cannot discount that nitric oxide is a potent neurotransmitter. It is primarily responsible for the relaxation of blood vessels and the proper circulation of blood through them. Adequate blood circulation eliminates any possibilities of clogging in arteries and hence prevents any possibility of coronary artery disease. Therefore the use of nitric oxide reduces any chances of heart diseases.
Ways to boost Nitric Oxide levels naturally
The production of Nitric oxide molecules is essential for overall health because it ensures the even distribution of blood, nutrients, and oxygen to all the vital organs of our body.
Several ways can be opted to maintain optimal levels of nitric oxide in your body, but let’s discuss some steps that can help you produce nitric oxide naturally.
You need to take care of two things to boost the production of Nitric oxide in your body, and they are Diet and Exercise. Inculcating certain ingredients as a part of your daily diet can help your body fight Nitric oxide deficiency. They include:
- Green leafy vegetables, beets, lettuce, and garlic are rich in dietary nitrates and can significantly trigger nitric oxide levels in your body.
- Citrus fruits like lemons and oranges are loaded with vitamin C, which can enhance the bioavailability of nitric oxide and increase levels of nitric oxide synthase.
- Dark chocolates and Nuts are also considered ideal for maintaining the level of Nitric oxide in your body.
- You can consume fruits like Pomegranate and watermelons to increase the level of Nitric oxide.
Secondly, certain exercises work efficiently to regulate nitric oxide levels and keep you fit.
- Regular practice of Bhramari Pranayama or Om Chanting for at least 10 minutes a day helps in the exchange of air between the sinuses and the nasal cavity. It thus results in a significant increase in nasal nitric oxide. Bhramari Pranayama has a positive impact on cardiovascular health. It reduces the stress and strain on various systems, thereby improving physical and mental health.
- One can experience the power of Om Chanting without using his tongue. Its vibrations can improve concentration, minimize stress, detoxify the body, and even control blood pressure which improves the functioning of the heart.
- By exercising for 30 minutes at least thrice a week, one can contribute to the natural production of Nitric oxide. The exercises can include aerobic training, such as walking or jogging, with anaerobic activity, such as resistance training.
- Taking long, deep breaths through your nose helps in releasing nitric oxide naturally. It expands blood vessels, increases blood flow, and lowers blood pressure.
- Also, focus on controlling other health conditions like hypertension, diabetes, or obesity.
Very few people know about nitric oxide, how it promotes cardiovascular health, and how they can include it in their lifestyle. We must be aware of how crucial it is. So, it’s high time to build a healthy lifestyle that provides enough nitric oxide to help support a long, happy, heart-healthy life.